Quaker meeting house uxbridge ontario
Welcome to Uxbridge Quaker Meeting House


Order Of Service


General Information

History of The Building

The Society of Friends

Helpful Links

Contact Us


History of The Building

The present board and batten meeting house ( 1820) is the oldest building in Uxbridge Township. An interior partition in the centre created separate areas for men and women. Around 1881 the partition was moved and a small Sunday School area was created at one end. During the renovation the west door and window on the South wall were switched, changing the architectural symmetry of the building.
The hand hewn pine pews are of 2 types; open backs to accommodate a woman's bustle and closed backs for men.

The main source of lighting was from a centre hung brass lamp with small coal lamps around the perimeter. A wood stove in the middle of the room (since removed) supplied heat.
In 1995 the building was raised and a concrete block foundation was installed.

lamp from Quaker Meeting House Uxbridge